Education and Schools
Church of England schools offer high quality education within a Christian context. They are, in the main, community schools with a Christian character serving the needs of the local area. As with all maintained schools in England they:
- teach Religious Education in line with the locally agreed syllabus
- hold acts of collective worship every day
In addition, Church of England Schools provide:
- education underpinned by Christian values
- a culture guided by the Christian way of life
- care of each individual as a unique part of God’s creation
- close links with the community
- partnership with the local Anglican church and congregation.
We believe the distinctively Christian nature of our schools enables children to flourish in all respects, including achieving academic excellence and fulfilling their individual God-given potential. We fully support the Church of England's vision for education, 'Deeply Christian, Serving the Common Good'.
The Diocese of Winchester works jointly with the Diocese of Portsmouth to support church schools across the whole of Hampshire, East Dorset and the Isle of Wight. We offer advice and support on improving academic standards, recruiting headteachers, school buildings, admissions, collective worship, religious education and a school’s Christian ethos.
Our education team is based in Portsmouth’s diocesan offices, and includes specialists in school buildings, admissions, finance and academies. Their work is overseen by the Portsmouth and Winchester Diocesan Board of Education, which includes both Bishops.
Foundation Governor Vacancies
Why not serve your community by supporting one of our diocesan schools and become a foundation governor?
Visit our Foundation Governor Vacancies page for roles that are being advertised.
Visit our School Vacancies page for any roles that are being advertised.
- Special Edition Newsletter - Summer 2020
- Holocaust Memorial Day special edition - Jan 2020
- Global Citizenship Booklet
- July Bee Inspired special edition
- May 2019
- Stewardship Booklet
- October 2018
- Charity Chair Hero special edition
- February 2018
- Autumn 2017
- Easter 2017
Portsmouth and Winchester Diocesan Academies Trust
For information about academies in the Portsmouth and Winchester Diocesan Academies Trust, please visit its website: www.pwdat.org
Anglican Church schools nationwide
The National Society was established in 1811 to support the development of Church of England schools throughout the country. Church of England schools are incorporated with the National Society. The National Society provides guidance and support on all matters relating to the distinctive nature of a Church of England school.