Clergy Training Grants
For a number of years the Diocese of Winchester has made grants available to all licensed ministers for retreats and relevant training courses. This grant scheme has recently been reviewed by the Bishop’s Staff Team. For those who have regularly claimed grants in the past, the only change from the previous policy is that training grants will be paid at the end of each quarter rather than immediately. For those who were unaware of the availability of these grants, we hope that this information will encourage you to take retreats and to pursue training that will enhance your ministry.
All licensed ministers may apply once in each calendar year for a £50 grant towards the cost of a retreat.(‘Retreat’ here includes worship-based events like Spring Harvest, On Fire and New Wine, despite their teaching element – as long as these are being attended on a personal basis rather than as a church leader leading a church group.) To apply for a grant, please complete and submit the relevant application form – after the retreat has been taken – together with a copy invoice or other proof of payment. Applications will not be entertained for any retreat taken in a preceding calendar year.
Again, all licensed ministers may apply once in each calendar year for a grant towards the cost of attending a training event or course (run by an outside provider – i.e. not the Diocese of Winchester) which will enhance their ministry.
The grant is for the lesser of £250 or one third of the cost of the event or course, including any necessary travel and accommodation costs (mileage costed at 25p per mile).
Application forms, together with copy invoices evidencing cost, must be submitted as soon as possible after the event. It is the responsibility of Marcus Throup, Dean of LMT, to decide whether or not a course or event qualifies for a grant – and if there is any doubt about this then we may contact you for further information, and may seek the advice of the relevant suffragan bishop. (The Mission and Training Adviser is happy to advise on probable eligibility at any point before you book on a course or event.)
Grants will not be paid immediately. Rather, decision and adjudication will be made at the end of each quarter. If there are not sufficient funds left in the budget to cover the cost of all grant applications (see below), then priority will be given to those ministers who have gone the longest since last receiving a training grant.
- Details of possible venues for retreats are available from the Diocesan Spirituality Adviser, Revd Sally Dakin, on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We don’t keep a list of possible training opportunities, but where we become aware of them then they are advertised through the diocesan eNews and SoM newsletter. Please therefore let us know of any good opportunities of which you become aware which could profitably be shared with others.
- The payment of any retreat or training grant is subject to there being sufficient money left in the diocesan grants budget for that year. Once the budget has been exhausted, no more grants can be made in that calendar year, however worthy the event.
- Application forms for the different grants may be downloaded from the diocesan website or are available from email@example.com. We are happy to receive by email application forms completed electronically – and indeed prefer this where possible.
- At the moment, a new system of Ministerial Development Review for licensed clergy is being developed. When this is finalised, it is possible that the grants policy will need some further changes, of which we will inform you in due course.
- (The small print!) Information about grants awarded will be stored on our diocesan database, and any application for a grant will be deemed to give permission for such storage.
Contact details are:
Revd Marcus Throup, Dean of Licensed Ministry Training
Address: Diocesan Office, Wolvesey, Winchester SO23 9ND
Telephone: 01962 710980
Please email or send completed application forms (see documents below) to the School of Mission at the address above.