Thinking of visiting Hampshire?
Winchester-Southampton-The New Forest-Basingstoke-Alton-Beaulieu-Andover-Whitchurch
People have been making pilgrimages for centuries to the cathedral and churches in this county and continue to do so, finding spiritual renewal and revitalisation from their time in the buildings, enjoying the beauty of their settings and taking inspiration from the people who worship in them now.
There are over 400 Anglican churches in the Diocese of Winchester (most of Hampshire and part of East Dorset). These churches cover history from 907 to the present day and each has a unique connection with its local population and history.
(Find a church near you) is a national resource to help you to locate churches. We hope that you will enjoy and be enriched by exploring these holy places. Please always check on each churches' website for details of opening times and local contacts, to use, please click on the link below.
The Diocese of Winchester also produces various trails linking churches on a variety of themes and covering a large part of the County. You can download any of the following by clicking on a link.
- Hampshire churches and rivers (pdf)
- Hampshire churches and St Alphege (pdf)
- Hampshire churches and The Pilgrims Way (pdf)
- Hampshire churches and famous people (pdf)
- Hampshire churches in and north of Basingstoke 1(pdf)
- Hampshire churches in and north of Basingstoke N2 (pdf)
- Hampshire churches and engraved glass (pdf)
- Hampshire churches and the City of Winchester churches (pdf)
- Hampshire churches and the unexpected (pdf)
- Hampshire churches and Aviation Pioneers (pdf)
You can also download similar trails devised by other people from the links below:
- Churches in and around Andover: North (pdf)
- Churches in and around Andover: South (pdf)
- Churches of the Dever Valley (pdf)
- Churches of the Test Valley (pdf)
- Churches of the New Forest-1 (pdf)
- Churches of the New Forest-2 (pdf)
Please find below a link to the web site of Winchester Cathedral which we hope will assist you in planning a visit to this inspirational building which has been a centre for worship for over 1000 years.
Romsey Abbey and Christchurch Priory
And these are the "greater churches" in this Diocese.
Another Hampshire trail (in our sister Diocese of Portsmouth) can be found in a pilgrimage in the Meon Valley in the steps of St Wilfrid.
Keep up to date with the latest news from around Winchester Diocese, using the links below.
Do you have a story for us? It could not be easier to tell us your news and spread the message across the Diocese. Simply click the button below.
We are sorry to announce the death of the former Bishop of Winchester, the Right Reverend Michael Scott-Joynt.
The Reverend Canon David Williams consecrated by the Most Reverend Justin Welby , the Archbishop of Canterbury, at Winchester Cathedral
Rev Canon Dr Paul Moore joins Diocesan team
HM Lord-Lieutenant Open Winchester Cathedral's Refurbished Learning Centre
Steve Brown is raising funds for local church
Statement from the Bishop of Winchester
New Deacons will serve communities across Hampshire and Dorset
Winchester vicar David Williams appointed
Early on Thursday morning there was a serious fire at St Peter's Church in Ropley.