Parish & Synod Support Department
Roles & Responsibilities
Mr Colin Harbidge, Head of Operations & Chief of Staff
Tel: 01962 737307
Miss Jayne Tarry, Synod & Admin Officer
Jayne works closely with Colin Harbidge, supporting him across the range of his responsibilities. Her role is specifically focused on supporting the work of all Synodical Committees and bodies and advising parishes on the Church Representation Rules. Jayne is also tasked with keeping all administrative processes in the office under review; oversight of insurance; and the upkeep of the diocesan database and directory. At the same time Jayne acts as coordinator for all parish administrators across the diocese, supporting them in their work and enabling sharing of best practice.
Tel: 01962 737348
Gordon Randall, Stewardship Adviser
Gordon has been Stewardship Adviser for the diocese since 2000. His passion is encouraging those who follow Jesus to recognise that in the managing of our resources (principally our time, talents and money) we are really being asked to look after what God has entrusted to us. He sees this stewarding of God’s resources as an outworking of our discipleship that helps us grow in our faith and extend God’s Kingdom. Stewardship is the act of organizing your life so that God can spend you!
Summary of Areas of Responsibility
- Supporting the Bishop’s Staff Team in all Clergy HR matters;
- Managing all aspects of HR for employees of the Board of Finance;
- Providing Parish Employment Advice.
Parish Officers Training & Support
- Coordinating and running the annual cycle of Parochial Officers Training events;
- Managing the annual Church Resource Fayre;
- Developing and maintaining resources and guidance notes for clergy, deanery and parish officers
Parish Share Support
- To support Deanery and Parish officers in the collection of Parish Share;
- To ensure clear, simple resources are provided to help explain the need and purpose of Parish Share in an accessible format;
- To work closely with parishes and deaneries on particular issues, drawing in colleagues from across the organisation as required;
- To provide regular monitoring reports of Parish Share collection to the Finance & Property Sub-Committee.
Safeguarding & Inclusion
- Providing training and support to clergy, parish officers and volunteers on all aspects of Safeguarding and Inclusion;
- To ensure safeguarding matters are viewed as a high priority by all involved in the life of the Diocesan community;
- To provide a round the clock helpline for anyone with safeguarding related concerns;
- To work with churches, local authorities, police and other agencies and partners as necessary in the investigation of cases;
- To ensure the operation of a robust Disclosure and barring System (DBS) across the diocese.
- To promote generosity and good stewardship of our God given resources;
- To support parishes in engaging in questions of stewardship, providing practical help as required;
- To investigate and share resources and initiatives to assist clergy and parishes in understanding and promoting generosity;
- Working with the Diocesan Environmental Group to promote the care of God’s creation;
- To promote and support Fair Trade across the diocese.
- To support the Diocesan Synod in fulfilling its responsibilities and priorities;
- To support the Bishop’s Council & Standing Committee in its leadership role, ensuring reports and agendas are timely, accurate and compliant;
- To assist Deanery Officers in the fulfilment of their tasks and duties, providing guidance and resources relating to the successful running of Deanery Synods;
- To assist clergy and PCC Secretaries with the legal requirements and opportunities of running successful PCCS;
- To fulfil the duties of Diocesan Electoral Roll Officer and Presiding Officer in relation to all elections relating to Synodical governance across the diocese.
Keep up to date with the latest news from around Winchester Diocese, using the links below.
Do you have a story for us? It could not be easier to tell us your news and spread the message across the Diocese. Simply click the button below.